Translate

Wednesday 11 September 2013

Kisses for Keaton

This is not one of my regular blog posts. This one is very special. I would like you to meet an incredible little girl. . .please allow me to introduce two year old Keaton aka Kiki

Adorable isn't she? She's two years old
AND
on February 24th of this year Keaton was diagnosed with ALL
Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.
this is Keaton today

Acute Lymphoblasitc Leukemia is a fast growing cancer of the while blood cells. Lymphocytes are those blood cells that protect us from infection and are produced by our bone marrow. In leukemia the lymphocytes don't form properly  and suddenly the bone marrow is pumping out too many not properly formed white blood cells. The immature and malformed cells  mass produce and end up crowding out the red blood cells which is a huge problem as it is our red cells that carry oxygen through our body. Keaton's own body is attacking itself. Keaton is in the fight of her life.
 
It was through a site on face book (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kisses-for-Keaton/148650585296073)  (we also share a mutual friend) that I first learned of Keaton. Her story conveyed by her mom brought tears to my eyes. I am in awe of Keaton's mom as her approach to this battle is so positive and yet there is that underlying current of fear. She passes on insights that are heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.
 
I want to do something for this family so I have offered to document their journey as a family through this chapter in their life through a special scrap album(s) that not only will include pictures but also excerpts from Keaton's FB page and posts from her mom.
 

They are having a fundraiser for Keaton
 
 
 

 
I know that most of you cannot attend but I ask, I beseech you to visit Keaton's site and leave a note of encouragement.  Not everyone can afford to make a monetary donation but there are other ways to be supportive. My daughter Jessie who is currently pregnant plans on donating her cord blood for the cause and I plan on donating blood. September is Cancer Awareness in Children month. I bring this to you today in the hopes that we can all learn from this remarkable family and their amazing little girl Kiki and do something selfless in return!
 
I will be posting the pages to the album Kisses for Keaton as they are done so stay tuned and follow this journey with me! I am currently working on getting donations of paper, embellishments, flowers etc. . .for the album from our big paper companies (so far Graphic 45 immediately came on board!) and I hope more will step forward to help.
 
Gold is the color for Child Cancer Awareness month so let's see if we can light up the world this month by wearing, scrapping or doing something in Gold. Take a picture and post it on Kiki's page! Please. . .do it for Kiki.
 
Thank-you for taking the time to read this and I truly hope that you visit the above sites. What if it were your child?
 
Pam Ellis
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment